COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's tennis team concluded its 2018 season with a 7-0 loss to regionally-ranked Northeast-10 Conference foe Southern New Hampshire University on Saturday during Senior Day in the Tarrant Recreation Center. The Penmen are 10th in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (5-10, 3-8 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (6-6, 5-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Caroline Sumner (Needham, Mass./Needham), 1 win
- Sophomore Melissa Wood (Stratham, N.H./Exeter), 1 win
- Seniors Katie Costa (Old Saybrook, Conn./Old Saybrook Senior), Margaret de Pont (Norton, Mass./Bishop Feehan) and Anna Schneider (Westbrook, Conn./Westbrook) were honored as part of Senior Day following their final college match.
- Purple Knights' season finale.
- Saint Michael's capped a regular-season-ending five-match homestand.
- Saint Michael's opposed its second straight regionally-ranked foe, having taken on Adelphi University last Sunday.
- The Penmen are ranked 10th in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Region poll.
- Southern New Hampshire took two of three doubles matches to claim the doubles point for the contest.
- In the No. 2 position, Sumner and Wood combined for a 6-3 victory over a tandem that had been 6-3 this season entering the match.
- During singles, junior Abby Ramsay (Bedford, N.H./Bedford) rallied to tie her match before falling in three sets, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 1.
- First-year Brittany Katz (Ballston Lake, N.Y./Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake) put together two close decisions but lost a 7-5, 6-4 contest in the fourth spot.
- Against a Penman who entered the day 8-3, de Pont took her opening set at No. 2 to a tie-breaker before suffering a 7-6 (7-2), 6-0 loss.