Women's lacrosse ends season with setback at No. 14 New Haven

WEST HAVEN, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College women's lacrosse team fell to the 14th-ranked University of New Haven, 16-5, in a Northeast-10 Conference contest on Saturday at Kayo Field. The Purple Knights finish their season 5-10 overall and 3-9 in the league, while the Chargers, who are ranked in the latest Intercollegiate Women's Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) national poll, move to 11-6 and 9-3.

Sophomore Kate Boyer (Standish, Maine/Bonny Eagle) led Saint Michael's with two goals, while junior Claire Martin (Mattapoisett, Mass./Bishop Stang) finished with a goal and three ground balls. Junior Crystal King (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington) and sophomore Melissa Jaskiewicz (Kensington, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase) each netted a goal, and first-year Casey Curtin (Waltham, Mass./Ursuline Academy) made nine saves and picked up three ground balls.

Senior Kristina Curry (East Meadow, N.Y./East Meadow) tallied five goals and an assist for New Haven, while classmate Natalie Lieberman (Manorville, N.Y./Eastport South Manor) netted four markers. First-year Courtney Ackland (Perth, Australia/Churchlands) totaled a pair of goals, and sophomore Kathryn Campbell (Mansfield, Mass./Mansfield) added a goal and two assists. First-year Corinne Fisher (Jackson, N.J./Jackson Memorial) tallied a goal and an assist, senior Rachel Resnick (Ocean, N.J./Ocean Township) collected six ground balls, and first-year Marissa McDermott (Londmeadow, Mass./Wilbraham & Monson Academy) stopped nine shots.

The hosts scored 44 seconds into the game before Jaskiewicz answered with a goal for the Purple Knights 3:13 later. Lieberman found the back of the net 5:13 into the opening half to put the Chargers back in front, but Boyer scored 5:58 later to deadlock the game for the second time. New Haven converted the next four goals during a span of 5:30 to take a 6-2 advantage, and Boyer added her second with 6:57 remaining in the period. Curry scored back-to-back markers at 4:15 and 3:49 to put the Chargers up, 8-3, at the break.

After New Haven scored 1:49 into the second half, King found the back of the net 47 seconds later to make the score 9-4. The hosts tallied three unanswered markers to move ahead by eight before Martin scored with 9:56 remaining. The Chargers scored four times in the final 7:25 to secure the win.