SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell to Sacred Heart University, 8-1, during Saturday afternoon's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) contest at Cairns Arena to cap a two-game weekend series.
- Saint Michael's (3-10-1, 2-5-1 NEWHA), Sacred Heart (15-4-3, 4-2-2 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 1 goal
- Junior Arianna Boscia (Cranston, R.I./La Salle Academy), 1 assist
- Junior Jordan Monbouquette (Wayland, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1 assist
- Sophomore Krista Ferrari (Dunstable, Mass./East Coast Wizards), 15-for-22 on faceoffs
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 6-for-11 on faceoffs, 4 blocks
- First-year Jenna Harrison (Boston, Mass./Wellesley), 7-for-11 on faceoffs
- Senior Christiana Akiki (Allendale, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 4 blocks
- Sophomore Alyssa Cimino (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley), 7 saves in 17:06
- Junior Vika Simons (Essex Junction, Vt./Minnesota Duluth Club), 31 saves in 42:54 of relief
- Senior Haley Payne, 2 goals
- First-year Nicole Guidi, 1 goal, 2 assists
- Senior Savannah Hersey, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Olivia Bryant, 2 assists
- Senior Katie Stueve, 1 goal
- Junior Maddie Bishop, 1 goal
- Junior Jayne Lewis, 1 goal
- Sophomore Lexi Edwards, 1 goal
- Senior Sarah Erban, 25 saves
- Second game in the weekend series with Sacred Heart
- Sacred Heart currently has the third-longest unbeaten streak in NCAA Division I/II, going 8-0-2 in its last 10 games.
- The Purple Knights held a 31-16 advantage in faceoffs.
- Sacred Heart scored the game's first goal 8:25 into the first period as Bishop threw a shot into the slot that deflected off of a Saint Michael's defender and into the net to make it 1-0.
- The Pioneers added another goal at the 9:58 mark as Edwards threw a shot on net from the slot that slipped under the arm of Cimino.
- Payne tallied the third goal of the period for the Pioneers, sniping a shot into the top right corner on a 2-on-1 opportunity at the 13:57 mark.
- Guidi made it 4-0 after corralling the rebound from her first shot and sliding it behind Cimino at 17:06.
- The Purple Knights tallied their only goal with 3:51 gone in the second period as Monbouquette put a shot between Erban's legs that Gervais shoveled in near the line.
- A Purple Knight had a penalty shot denied by Erban after being hooked on a breakaway at 8:41.
- Payne netted her second goal at 16:12, tapping a pass from junior Victoria Grimmer into the net from just in front of the crease.
- Hersey notched a power-play goal 48 seconds into the third period after picking up a blocked shot and ripping a slap shot from the blue line.
- Lewis made it 7-1 after poke-checking the puck into the net from between Simons' legs.
- Forty-eight seconds later, Stueve posted the final Pioneer goal on a wrist shot from the high slot that found the top left corner.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Anna Maria College, 7 p.m.