SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team lost a tight 2-1 contest to Post University during Friday's New England Women's Hockey Alliance (NEWHA) contest at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (0-1, 0-1 NEWHA), Post (1-4, 1-2 NEWHA)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Maddie Gervais (Glastonbury, Conn./East Catholic), 1 goal
- Senior Nicole Talcott (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial Prep), 28 saves
- Junior Alissa Sullivan (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 3 blocks
- Junior Molly Brumfield, 2 goals
- Junior Kendall Fitzgerald, 1 assist
- Sophomore Kathleen Takita, 1 assist
- First-year Kristin Smith, 36 saves
- First game of the 2018-19 season for the Purple Knights.
- The Purple Knights held a 37-30 advantage in shots and held Post to an 0-for-7 showing on the power play.
- Gervais opened the scoring for the Purple Knights, picking up an errant pass in her own right circle before skating through the neutral zone and past a Post defender to beat Smith glove side from the slot to make it 1-0 13:54 into the first period.
- The Eagles responded 25 seconds into the second period after Brumfield stole the puck in the neutral zone and roofed a shot past Talcott on a shorthanded breakaway.
- Brumfield notched her second goal of the game when Takita threw a pass into the slot from behind the net which was redirected by Fitzgerald to Brumfield, who found the back of the net on a one-timer for the game-winning goal 5:14 into the third period.
- With about 4:15 left on the clock, sophomore Megan Doherty (Stoughton, Mass./Walpole Express) and first-year Jenna Harrison (Boston, Mass./Wellesley) engineered a 2-on-1 breakout, but Smith denied Doherty's shot with a glove save to preserve the Eagles' 2-1 lead for good.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Post University, 1 p.m.