Women's ice hockey falls to Saint Anselm in NEHC road contest

Women's ice hockey falls to Saint Anselm in NEHC road contest

MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College women's ice hockey team fell in a New England Hockey Conference contest on Saturday against Saint Anselm College, 12-1, at Sullivan Arena. The Purple Knights fell to 3-19 overall and 3-12 in the NEHC, while the Hawks improved to 18-2-3 and 13-1-1 with the win.

Junior Jillian Witwicki (Danvers, Mass./Pingree School) scored the lone goal for Saint Michael's while senior Erica Ragazzo (Mansfield, Mass./Ursuline Academy) made 33 saves in 34:19. Classmate Abby Burke (Bedford, Mass./The Rivers School) made 14 saves in 16:12, and senior Tina Frasca (Norwood, Mass./Tabor Academy) made five saves in 9:29. Frasca's five saves pushed her season total to 465, which is just three shy of tying Annice Mason '06 (468) for 10th in program history. Seniors Erin Dwyer (Weymouth, Mass./Archbishop Williams) and Kayla Kee (Newton, Mass./Newton South) each played in their 100th career game, becoming the 11th and 12th Purple Knights to ever reach that plateau.

Senior Alex Starzyk paced the scoring for the Hawks with seven points on three goals and four assists. Classmate Alison Quinn registered two goals and added two assists while. Junior Ashley Moran scored two goals while senior Victoria Shea and first-year Kaley Campbell each had one goal and one assist. Senior Alison Butler and sophomore Maura Kieft each dished out three assists while senior Hannah Synnott made 10 saves in the win.

First-year Amanda Conger opened the scoring with a shorthanded goal at 5:46 of the first. Following the midway point of the period, the Hawks would put together three straight goals in a 3:34 span. Witwicki cut into the Hawks' lead just 23 seconds after the hosts' fourth goal, with a shot from the left side that snuck through a crowd in front and between Synnott's five-hole at 16:35. The Purple Knights trailed 4-1 after the first.

Starzyk tallied just 41 seconds into the second, and the Hawks would tally two more in the period - both during an 11-second stretch - as they began to pull away. Ragazzo made 18 of her 33 saves in the period. Quinn tallied just 41 seconds into the third, and the Hawks would take four more goals, including a power-play marker from Quinn at 12:20. Frasca made five saves in the final 9:29.

Up next for the Purple Knights is an NEHC road contest against the University of Southern Maine on Friday at 4 p.m.