COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team came away with a 78-57 victory over regionally-ranked Southern Connecticut State University during Saturday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Ross Sports Center. The Owls are ranked ninth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll and qualified for the 2018 NCAA Tournament.
- Saint Michael's (8-11, 4-10 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (12-10, 6-8 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 21 points, 8-of-12 field goals, 5-of-7 three-pointers
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 4-for-4 free throws
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 11 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 blocks
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 9 points, 8 rebounds, 12 assists (career high), 2 steals, 5-for-6 free throws
- First-year Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 8 points
- Redshirt sophomore Casey Evans (Londonderry, N.H./Saint Andrew's School), 7 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists in 15 minutes
- Junior Kiana Steinauer, 21 points, 17 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks
- Senior Amanda Pfohl, 15 points, 2 steals
- Redshirt junior Bridget Sharnick, 8 points
- Junior Aaliyah Walker, 6 points, 6 rebounds
- Senior Allie Smith, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
- After only hosting four games over its last 13 contests, the Purple Knights now host four of their next six games in the coming 19 days.
- The Owls are ninth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll and qualified for the 2018 NCAA Tournament.
- The home team has now won the last 10 meetings between the two squads dating back to Jan. 12, 2010, with each team now 5-5 during that stretch.
- The Purple Knights outrebounded the Owls 50-38 and held Southern Connecticut to just 27.9 percent shooting. The Purple and Gold also dished out 24 assists on 28 baskets.
- With four blocks Miller upped her career total to 67 and now only trails Kathy King '89 and Alexa Long '14 by one for eighth in program history. This was also her second career double-double.
- The Purple Knights scored the first 11 points of the game by 4:55 in the first quarter including five points from Miller, while Ferreri scored the first and last baskets of the run.
- The Owls cut the lead to seven with 1:09 remaining in the first on a three by Smith, but the Purple Knights went back up by nine after junior Cassandra Falone (Chatham, N.J./Chatham) hit two free throws with one second left in the quarter.
- The Purple Knights outscored Southern Connecticut 24-8 in the second quarter, going up 39-14 on Anderson's third three-pointer of the quarter with 16 seconds remaining in the half.
- The Purple Knights extended their lead to a game-high 37 on two occasions in the third quarter, with first-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School) nailing a three with 2:02 left for the first and Purcell tossing in a layup with 1:01 remaining for the second.
- Steinauer posted 12 points in the fourth quarter as the Owls outscored the Purple Knights 24-12, but were only able to bring the deficit to 21 after a free throw from Steinauer with 15 seconds left.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. regionally-ranked Southern New Hampshire University, 5:30 p.m.
- The Penmen are tied for 10th in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- The Purple Knights will be hosting their Hope Happens Here Mental Awareness Game and celebrating National Girls and Women in Sports Day during the contest.