PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team held off Pace University's furious comeback bid on Saturday before claiming a 61-55 victory during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Goldstein Fitness Center.
- Saint Michael's (7-10, 3-9 NE10), Pace (8-12, 5-7 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Nicole Anderson (Kittery Point, Maine/Marianapolis Prep), 15 points
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 14 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 11 points, 3 steals, 2 assists
- First-year Emma MacDonough (South Burlington, Vt./South Burlington), 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2-for-2 three-pointers, 13 minutes off the bench
- First-year Nicole Ladas (Glastonbury, Conn./Tilton School), 5 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 12 minutes off the bench
- Junior Taylor Miller (Falmouth, Mass./Falmouth), 9 rebounds
- Junior Jackie DelliSanti, 14 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals
- First-year Lauren Hackett, 10 points, 6 assists, 3-for-7 three-pointers
- First-year Kelsey Quain, 9 points, 3-for-5 three-pointers
- The Purple and Gold held the Setters to 35 points on 13-of-47 (27.7%) shooting in the opening 35:37 before the hosts netted 20 points on 7-of-7 shooting - including 5-for-5 from three-point range - in the ensuing 3:40 to make it a two-point game. Saint Michael's scored the final four points.
- The Purple Knights have won four straight meetings with Pace.
- Saint Michael's held a 22-11 lead in points off of turnovers.
- Ferreri became the 32nd Purple Knight with 800 career points, extending her total to 808.
- Ferreri's lay-up at 4:27 of the opening quarter accounted for the fifth lead change, giving her squad a 9-8 edge, and sparked a 10-0 run during which Ladas netted five points.
- First-year Brianna Wong's lay-in at 9:03 of the second trimmed the deficit to 19-15, and neither team scored again until MacDonough drilled a three-pointer with 3:33 to go.
- Sophomore Lauren Schetter's jumper at 2:18 ended a stretch of 6:44 without a field goal for Pace, making it 22-18, but MacDonough hit another three at 58 seconds, and the visitors led 25-20 at halftime.
- Neither team led by more than five points in the third stanza until Purcell's lay-in at 4:47 made it 33-26, and her buzzer-beating jumper at the end of the stanza provided a 41-31 advantage.
- The Purple Knight run bulged to 15-4, as Anderson scored nine of those points, with her triple giving the visitors a game-high 18-point lead (53-35) with 4:49 remaining.
- After being held to 27.7 percent shooting to that point, Pace hit its next seven attempts - with Hackett and Quain combining to connect on five from beyond the arc - to draw within 57-55 with 42 seconds remaining.
- Purcell converted a three-point play at 24 ticks, and the Purple Knights forced two missed shots and a turnover around a Ferreri freebie in the final 16 seconds to seal the victory.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at nationally-regarded Le Moyne College, 3:30 p.m.
- The Dolphins are receiving votes toward both national polls while standing fourth in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.