BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College women's basketball team lost a 76-49 decision to the Division I University of Vermont during their annual exhibition game on Sunday in Patrick Gymnasium.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Samantha Delaney (Smithtown, N.Y./Smithtown East), 12 points, 8 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal
- Senior Emily Ferreri (Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Lourdes), 10 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 steal
- Junior Brianna Purcell (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 6 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists
- Redshirt sophomore Casey Evans (Londonderry, N.H./Saint Andrew's School), 6 points, 1 rebound
- Junior Alyssa Breunig (Trumbull, Conn./Trumbull), 3 rebounds
- Senior Candice Wright, 13 points, 9 rebounds
- Sophomore Josie Larkins, 13 points, 3-for-4 three-pointers
- Senior Lauren Handy, 10 points, 7 rebounds, 3-for-6 three-pointers
- First-year Rose Caverly, 9 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists
- First-year Asha Scott, 9 points, 2 steals
- Saint Michael's forced as many turnovers as it committed (13) while dishing out more assists (10) than the Catamounts (8).
- The Purple Knights held a 12-8 advantage on the offensive glass, converting it into a 10-5 edge in second-chance points.
- Both teams scored 32 points in the paint.
- The teams exchanged leads five times in the opening 4:19 of the contest, as buckets by Ferreri, Purcell and Delaney all swung the score in the Purple Knights' direction during that time.
- Larkins' three-pointer sparked an 11-0 run that put the Catamounts up 16-6. Delaney's jumper drew the visitors within six points with 1:33 to go in the first quarter, and Purcell's jumper had her team down 18-12 early in the second period.
- Vermont pulled away on the strength of a 13-1 run, taking a 31-13 edge on Larkins' lay-in at 4:52. The Catamounts pushed their lead to 23 before the end of the half, which concluded with Ferreri converting a lay-up with nine seconds to go to make it 44-23.
- Consecutive Ferreri hoops brought the Purple Knights within 46-27 at 8:13 of the third quarter before the hosts netted the next nine points. Evans put home a lay-in off of Purcell's backdoor feed before converting a putback with 58 seconds to go, producing a 55-31 margin, prior to Handy hitting a triple 16 seconds later.
- Delaney's jumper made it 59-35 at 8:16 of the fourth quarter, the closest Saint Michael's edged down the stretch.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Mercy (N.Y.) College at Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College Tip-Off Tournament, 7 p.m.
- The Purple Knights open their season with the contest.