WORCESTER, Mass. - Senior Patty Kohn (Weston, Conn./Greenwich) set a school record in the 1,000-yard freestyle and classmate Tim Kinville (Colchester, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union) finished fourth in the three-meter diving trials on Thursday to highlight the Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving teams' performances on the opening day of the four-day Northeast-10 Conference Championship in the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) Sports & Recreation Center.
- The Purple Knight women are sixth among nine schools with 35 points, just 14 shy of fifth-place Pace University. Saint Michael's is one point ahead of Adelphi University and The College of Saint Rose.
- The Purple and Gold men are sixth among six squads with 33 points, within nine points of Saint Rose for fifth place.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Patty Kohn (Weston, Conn./Greenwich), 1 school record
- In an opening day that featured only a five-event evening session, Kohn nabbed eighth place in the 1,000-yard freestyle in a time of 10:51.31, eclipsing her own three-month-old school record by 0.68 seconds.
- Kohn led off for the Purple Knights' top 800 free relay, which placed ninth (8:08.70). Juniors Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown) and Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional) and sophomore Meg Geschwind (Rochester, Minn./Mayo) also swam legs.
- Senior Tim Kinville (Colchester, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union) took fourth among nine competitors in the three-meter diving trials with 256.70 points, becoming the first Purple Knight male to take part in the event at a championship in nine years. Jake Stamas '10 and Max O'Brien '13 had been the last, during the 2010 NE10 Championship, when they netted 328.80 and 344.60 points, respectively. Kinville, who edged out two Bentley University divers by 2.15 and 3.55 points, will compete in the finals during Friday's evening session.
- The Purple Knights were fifth in the 800 free relay (7:22.03), as senior Pat Thornton (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence), junior Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side), sophomore Payton Stewart (Keene, N.H./Keene) and first-year Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) sided.
- Imbergamo and first-year Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree) both scored during the 1,000 free, with Imbergamo 14th in 10:21.19 and McGurn right behind in 15th place at 10:25.92. Each trimmed more than 12 seconds off of their seed times.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Tomorrow at Day 2 of NE10 Championship.
- Morning session begins at 10:15 a.m. and evening session starts at 6 p.m.