POTSDAM, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's and women's swimming & diving teams are both in first place among five schools after Friday's opening day of the two-day North Country Invitational at the State University of New York at Potsdam's Maxcy Hall Pool. Six school records fell, with junior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham) playing a hand in four.
- The Purple Knight men have 280 points, opening a 48-point edge on second-place SUNY Potsdam. Saint Michael's took second at the meet the past three seasons.
- The Purple and Gold women have 257 points, just nine more than Clarkson University. The Purple Knights won three of the past four North Country Invitationals.
- Purple Knights' second consecutive weekend in Potsdam after competing at Clarkson last Saturday.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Connor Hopkins (Windham, N.H./Windham), 4 wins, 4 school records
- Sophomore Payton Stewart (Keene, N.H./Keene), 2 wins, 2 school records
- Senior Pat Thornton (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence), 2 wins, 1 school record
- Senior Seamus Butler (Waltham, Mass./Waltham), 1 win, 1 school record
- First-year Sean McGurn (Braintree, Mass./Braintree), 1 win, 1 school record
- First-year William Sullivan (Arlington, Va./Bishop O'Connell), 1 win, 1 school record
- Hopkins had a hand in two school records during the first event of the meet, leading off for the top 400-yard medley relay (3:36.88), joining McGurn, Stewart and Thornton to best a program mark by 2.7 seconds. During his 100-yard backstroke leg, Hopkins' time of 52.12 clipped a four-year-old record by 0.07 ticks.
- Hopkins also won the 50-yard freestyle (21.14) and 200 back (1:57.00), with his 200 back time 1.33 seconds better than a three-year-old program standard.
- Butler, Hopkins, Stewart and Sullivan clocked in at 1:28.20 during the 200 free relay, breaking a 10-year-old mark by 1.46 seconds and felling the longest-standing school record in a swimming event.
- Thornton won the 100-yard butterfly (54.54), with junior Aidan Mulderrig (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side) trailing by 0.45 seconds as the runner-up.
- McGurn tied for second in the 100-yard breaststroke, while Butler tied for fourth.
- First-year Nate Imbergamo (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) was second in the 200 back and the 500 free, while Thornton placed fourth and McGurn fifth during the latter.
- Stewart took third in the 50 free while Sullivan nabbed fifth.
- Senior Tim Kinville (Colchester, Vt./Missisquoi Valley Union) earned a third-place showing in the one-meter dive while sophomore Dan Fortier (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich) claimed third in the 200-yard individual medley.
- The Purple Knights' 400 medley relay B team of Butler, Imbergamo, Mulderrig and Sullivan placed third while beating three schools' A squads and coming within 0.90 seconds of second place.
- In the 200 free relay, Imbergamo, Mulderrig, Thornton and first-year Myron Prograis (Etters, Pa./Cedar Cliff) claimed third place.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Patty Kohn (Weston, Conn./Greenwich), 2 wins, 2 school records
- Senior Tess Grimaldi (Higganum, Conn./Haddam-Killingworth), 1 win
- Junior Reiley Adelson (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Springs), 1 win
- Junior Lauren Giampietro (Watertown, Conn./Watertown), 1 win
- Junior Sarah White (Lakeville, Mass./Apponequet Regional), 1 win
- Both of Kohn's records came during the 1,650 free, which she won in 18:04.90 to trim her own program mark by 7.35 seconds. Kohn completed her opening 1,000 leg in 10:51.99, downing another record she held (11:00.43). Adelson was second in the 1,650 free, while junior Megan Reid (Winchester, Mass./Winchester) took fifth.
- Giampietro, Grimaldi, Kohn and White won the 200 free relay (1:44.21) by 0.17 seconds, while the foursome was second in the 400 medley relay, losing by 0.41 ticks.
- Adelson won the 500 free (5:40.31), while junior Sarah Brennan (Glen Rock, N.J./Immaculate Heart Academy) was fifth.
- Giampietro took second in the 100 breast, just 0.59 seconds short of the winner. Sophomore Meg Geschwind (Rochester, Minn./Mayo) was fifth, finishing 0.44 seconds ahead of classmate Kristin Burlew (Springfield, Vt./Hartford) and 0.60 ticks clear of junior Katie Valle (Weston, Mass./Weston).
- White placed second in the 100 fly (1:03.08), coming within 0.02 seconds of victory, while Grimaldi was fifth. Grimaldi placed third in the 50 free, and senior Elizabeth Doherty (Dedham, Mass./Dedham) took fourth.
- Sophomore Leah Benoit (Franklin, Mass./Franklin) was third during the 200 back, just 0.08 seconds ahead of fourth-place senior Meg Flanagan (Middletown, R.I./The Prout School/Boston College). Benoit took fourth in the 200 IM.
- The Purple Knights' second 200 free relay squad of Adelson, Benoit, Doherty and Flanagan was fourth as the top B foursome while besting one school's A team. Saint Michael's also nabbed fifth in the 400 medley relay, with Benoit, Burlew, Doherty and Geschwind combining to best another A foursome.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Tomorrow at the North Country Invitational at 10 a.m.
- The meet is the Purple Knights' final competition until mid-January.