NEWRY/RUMFORD, Maine - Senior Guillaume Grand's (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié) second-place finish in the giant slalom on Friday has helped the Saint Michael's College Alpine and Nordic skiing teams tie for fifth among 14 schools after the opening day of the Bates College Carnival. The meet, which is also the Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association (EISA) Championship and NCAA East Regional Championship, is running its Alpine races at Sunday River and Nordic events at Black Mountain.
- Saint Michael's is tied for fifth among 14 institutions with 218 points, matching the University of New Hampshire, with one day remaining in the carnival-circuit finale.
- Since the EISA's Division I and Division II leagues merged for the 1993-94 season, the Purple Knights have never taken higher at an EISA Championship than the seventh-place finish they nabbed last winter.
- The men tied the University of Vermont for second place (98), holding off fourth-place Middlebury College (94).
- The women were fifth (71), within 17 points of Middlebury for fourth place.
- Between the two Alpine squads, Saint Michael's is fourth with 169 points, trailing only regional powers Dartmouth College (251), UVM (231) and Middlebury (182).
- Senior Guillaume Grand (La Plagne, France/Lycée Général Ferrié), 2nd in giant slalom, 2:35.89 two-run time
- 42nd career top-10 finish
- 9th career podium
- 4th podium this season
- Matched career-high finish
- 7th career runner-up placement
- 0.17 seconds short of winner
- Junior Colby Jordan (Charlotte, Vt./Mount Mansfield Winter Academy), 17th, 2:38.36
- Junior Zach Bouchard (Merrimac, Mass./Gould Academy), 18th, 2:38.52
- First-year Austin Lilley (Winhall, Vt./Stratton Mountain School), 22nd, 2:39.37
- Career-high GS finish
- First-year Ben Throm (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 28th, 2:41.27
- First-year Christian Gallagher (Stowe, Vt./Burke Mountain Academy), 37th, 2:42.90
- Junior Emilia Laffin (Chamonix, France/Lycée du Mont-Blanc René Dayve), 15th in giant slalom, 2:41.74 two-run time
- 7th-fastest second run (1:19.30) in event
- Junior Erin Spence (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), 22nd, 2:44.05
- Senior Clara Lopez Costa (Barcelona, Spain/Green Mountain Valley School), 25th, 2:46.30
- First-year Magnolia Neu (Truckee, Calif./North Tahoe), 34th, 2:49.77
- Junior Kara Gailiunas (Warren, Vt./Green Mountain Valley School), 36th, 2:54.32
- The men were 14 points shy of host Bates.
- Senior Mitch McDonald (Prior Lake, Minn./Prior Lake), 51st in 10K skate, 28:09.4
- First-year John Cunningham (Springfield, N.H./Kearsarge Regional), 57th, 28:44.0
- First-year Gaelan Boyle-Wight (Newry, Maine/Telstar Regional), 60th, 29:36.9
- First-year Brian Wing (Chugiak, Alaska/Chugiak), 62nd, 30:35.8
- First-year Will Meehan (Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional), 64th, 32:48.7
- Senior Amy Duclos (Clifton Park, N.Y./Shenendehowa), 58th in 5K skate, 16:39.1
- Senior Ellen Emers (East Hardwick, Vt./Hazen Union), 59th, 17:17.3
- First-year Rachel Smith (Old Forge, N.Y./Town of Webb), 60th, 17:27.0
- Sophomore Emma Bellefleur (Wolfeboro, N.H./Kingswood Regional), 62nd, 18:49.3
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S EVENT
- Saturday at Bates Carnival/EISA Championship/NCAA East Regional Championship, 9 a.m.