WORCESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College softball team downed Assumption College, 8-7, to take the second half of a Northeast-10 Conference doubleheader on Thursday at Marois Field. The Greyhounds took the opener, 12-0 in five innings. Friday's scheduled rubber game, also the Purple Knights' regular-season finale, has been postponed due to inclement weather and will be made up at a later date.
- Saint Michael's (4-31, 3-21 NE10), Assumption (21-20, 14-14 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-2, 2B
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 1-for-2
- First-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 1-for-2
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 2.2 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 0 ER, Loss
- Senior Julia Mazzeo, 2-for-2, R, 2 RBIs, BB, 2B
- Sophomore Alyssa Bialakis, 2-for-3, R, RBI, 2B
- Sophomore Alyssa Beaton, 2-for-4, 2 R, RBI, SB
- Junior Kayla Peabody, 2-for-4, R, RBI, 2B, SB
- Sophomore Mia Nowicki, 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
- Seven of Assumption's 12 runs were unearned.
- The Greyhounds led only 1-0 before plating 11 runs between the third and fourth innings.
- Brandenburg legged out a bunt single with one down in the first inning before advancing to third on Rathwell's double, but Nowicki struck out the next batter before snagging a line drive off the bat of the final Purple Knight hitter.
- A two-out error set up Peabody's RBI double in the home half.
- Rathwell retired the first two batters in the second frame before three consecutive singles loaded the bases, but the final hitter flew out.
- Longley led off the third with a single before moving up to second on a groundout but advancing no further.
- Assumption scored four runs - all unearned, and three with two down - on four hits in the bottom half, keyed by Mazzeo's two-run double.
- The Greyhounds plated seven runs on seven hits in the fourth. Petrie knocked a two-run double while junior Shelby Lindsay had a two-run, pinch-hit single.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Rathwell, 1-for-4, R; 7 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 0 ER, 4 BB, 6 K, Win
- Longley, 1-for-4, R, 2 RBIs
- Brandenburg, 1-for-4, R, 3B
- Senior Nicole Talcott (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial), 3-for-4, R, RBI
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), R, 2 BB
- Junior Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill), 2-for-4
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 1-for-4, R, RBI, 2B
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-4, R
- Bialakis, 2-for-4, 2 RBIs
- Nowicki, 2.2 IP, 7 H, 8 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, Loss
- Sophomore Brooke Murphy, 2-for-4, R, 2 SB
- Sophomore Haley Drakoulakos, 1-for-2, 2 BB, SB
- The Purple Knights downed Assumption for the first time since April 19, 2009, and on the Greyhounds' home field for the first time since April 27, 2004.
- Only three of the 15 runs between the teams was earned.
- Saint Michael's held a 10-7 advantage in hits, including picking up both extra-base knocks in the contest.
- Talcott picked up her first career hits in the game, having batted only twice previously.
- Rathwell tossed her 20th complete game of the season, joining only Meggan (Roberge) Dulude '07 and Danielle Brown '18 in reaching that mark in program history. With 149.1 innings tossed this spring, Rathwell trails only Dulude on the all-time list, having spun the most by a Purple Knight since 2007. Rathwell is now sixth at Saint Michael's in career victories. Rathwell also passed Meghan Colitti '11 (107) for 11th in program history in career hits, with 108. Her nine doubles this season tie for fifth in school annals.
- Saint Michael's scored three unearned runs with two down in the first inning, with two scoring on an error before Talcott sent a single up the middle to plate Tierney.
- Murphy and Drakoulakos both reached scoring position with no one out in the home half, but Rathwell fanned the next two batters before getting the final Greyhound to pop to first baseman Markowski in foul territory.
- The visitors tacked on five runs in the third inning to grab an 8-0 lead. Markowski stroked an RBI double, Longley sent a two-out, two-run single to the opposite field, and two more runs scored on an error.
- Assumption got on the board when a pair of runs came home on a two-out infield error in the home half.
- Another pair of unearned runs scored on an outfield miscue with two down in the fourth, making it 8-4, but Rathwell retired the final batter on a fly ball to Sevigny in center field with runners at the corners.
- Talcott and Sevigny led off the fifth with consecutive singles, but neither advanced during the frame.
- The Greyhounds used four hits and an error to rally within a run in the seventh, as Bialakis singled home two with two down before sophomore McKenzie Richards' RBI knock cut the deficit to 8-7 with runners at the corners. However, the final batter of the game hit a deep line drive to Sevigny in center.