HOOKSETT, N.H. - Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy) homered in her third career at bat to highlight the Saint Michael's College softball team's 8-3 loss at 13th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University on Monday during Northeast-10 Conference play at the SNHU Softball Field. The Purple Knights played the home team to cap the teams' three-game season series. The Penmen were 13th in the latest National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) national poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-28, 2-18 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (35-9, 19-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Emily Lanci (Canton, Mass./Lawrence Academy), 1-for-1, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 1-for-2, R, BB, 2B
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-3, R
- First-year Courtney Norton (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick), 1-for-3, RBI
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 5 IP, 11 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R
- Senior Erin Garczynski, 2-for-3, R, 3 RBIs, HR, SF
- Sophomore Jackie Gavin, 2-for-3, R, RBI, SAC
- First-year Emily Carbonneau, 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Junior Maddy Barone, 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K
- Sophomore Olivia Strasser, 2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Southern New Hampshire held a 12-7 edge in hits.
- Strasser entered the game sixth in Division II in earned run average (0.95) while having allowed only one home run in 94.1 innings all season, and just three in her career. Lanci became the first lefthanded hitter to ever go deep off of Strasser, knocking the homer for her first collegiate hit in just her third at bat.
- The Penmen led the nation in ERA (1.21).
- Feeney pitched around a leadoff walk in the first inning en route to a pair of shutout frames to begin the game.
- Junior Erin Tyrrell legged out an infield single to begin the third before advancing on a sac bunt and a fielder's choice, then coming in with the game's first run on Garczynski's sac fly.
- Carbonneau led off the fourth with a home run, but Feeney induced an inning-ending fly ball to the outfield to leave a pair of Penmen in scoring position.
- Saint Michael's halved its deficit in the home half, as Apkarian doubled to kick off the inning before scoring on Norton's two-out single, making it 2-1.
- Southern New Hampshire scored four runs on five hits in the fifth, with three coming home on a Gavin squeeze that was coupled with an infield error.
- Garczynski's two-run homer pushed the lead to 8-1 in the sixth.
- Apkarian led off the bottom half with a walk before a fielder's choice and a double play ended the threat.
- Tierney began the seventh with an infield single and took second on an ensuing error. With two out, Lanci, who had entered the game at shortstop when Rathwell came in to pitch, slugged a two-run homer to center field in her only plate appearance of the day.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Franklin Pierce University, 4 p.m.