EASTON, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College softball team was swept in a doubleheader on Sunday by Stonehill College, 7-6 and 3-1, at Fr. Gartland Field. The teams played a Northeast-10 Conference contest in the opener before playing a non-league affair to cap their four-game weekend. Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland) became the 13th member of the program's 100-hit club, and the fifth junior to reach the plateau.
- Saint Michael's (2-24, 1-14 NE10), Stonehill (12-18, 8-10 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 2-for-3, 2 R, 4 RBIs, 2 HR
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 2-for-3, 2B
- Sophomore Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill), 2-for-3, R
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 2-for-4, R
- First-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 1-for-3, R
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-4, R, 2 RBIs; 6.2 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Genna Hartman, 2-for-4, 1 R, 4 RBIs, 2B
- Senior Carly Rennie, 2-for-3, R
- Junior Katherine Rayner, 1-for-2, 2 R, SB; 7 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 0 BB, 6 K
- Both teams had 10 hits.
- Markowski's second career multi-homer game. She moved into a tie for ninth in program history for career homers (8) with Kate Condon '11.
- Tierney moved into a tie for 10th in program history in career hits (107) with Meghan Colitti '11.
- Markowski's two-out, two-run homer gave the Purple Knights a first-inning lead.
- Hartman's infield single with two down in the third scored Rayner to cut the deficit to 2-1.
- Saint Michael's plated four more runs in the fifth, all with two down, as Rathwell's two-run single was immediately followed by another two-run home run off the bat of Markowski.
- Stonehill trailed 6-1 until scoring six times on seven hits in the home half of the seventh. Hartman's three-run double tied the game, and senior Sophie Perez's groundout allowed her to come in from third with the winning run.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Rathwell, 2-for-3, RBI
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 1-for-2
- Senior southpaw Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 6 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Michelle Theilgard, 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 SB
- Sophomore Hannah Ricker, 2-for-3
- Sophomore Julia Perrone, 5.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, Win
- Junior Kazi Walker, 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, Save
- Rathwell became the 13th member of the program's 100-hit club during the game, becoming the fifth junior to reach the plateau. She has 101 hits.
- Longley picked up her first college hit.
- Including the opener of the doubleheader, seven of the last nine meetings between the teams have been decided by two runs or fewer.
- Stonehill scored twice in the first inning, as Theilgard stole home on a corners play before junior Caroline Casey hit an RBI single.
- Junior Julia Hartman added a two-out RBI single in the second for the Skyhawks.
- With their team down 3-0 in the fourth, Rathwell and Markowski picked up consecutive two-out singles, with Rathwell's the 100th of her career. However, the final batter hit into a fielder's choice.
- Saint Michael's got one run back in the sixth, when Longley led off with her first college hit. Rathwell came through with a two-out RBI knock.
- Feeney pitched around two base runners in the home half to keep it 3-1.
- In the seventh, first-year Courtney Norton (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick) singled with one out to bring the tying run to the plate, but the final two batters went down on a popup and groundout.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 3 p.m. doubleheader.