COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College softball team dropped a Northeast-10 Conference doubleheader to Saint Anselm College, 7-1 and 10-0 in five innings, at Doc Jacobs Field on Wednesday. Saint Anselm is the defending national runner-up.
- Saint Michael's (2-20, 1-11 NE10), Saint Anselm (23-7, 11-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 2-for-3, R, RBI, HR; 7 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 4 R, 3 BB, 3 K
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), 0-for-2, BB
- Junior Maggie Murphy, 2-for-3, 3 R, 3 RBIs, BB, HR, 3B,
- Junior Shannon Colson, 1-for-3, 3 R, BB, 4 SB
- Sophomore Lauren Washburn, 1-for-4, RBI
- Sophomore Courtney Fisher, 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, Win
- First-year McKenna Smith, 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, Save
- Rathwell belted her 10th career home run, tying her with Meg Currier '07 and Danielle Barbato '17 for sixth in program history. She also pushed her career RBI total to 46, tying Jaime Cronin '95 for ninth in Purple Knight history.
- The Hawks jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with three hits in the top half of the first inning. Murphy registered an RBI triple before Washburn knocked her in during the next at bat with a single to right.
- Saint Anselm added three runs on no hits and two errors in the second as a dropped fly ball with the bases loaded and two out cleared the bags.
- Murphy connected on a two-run home run to left center with two out in the fourth to give the Hawks a 7-0 lead.
- Rathwell broke up Fisher's no-hitter with a single to left with one out in the bottom of the fourth and parked a solo home run to left center in the bottom of the seventh for the Purple Knights' lone run.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Apkarian, 0-for-2, BB
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 2-for-2, 2 2B
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-2
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 2 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 1 BB
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 3 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Murphy, 1-for-4, R, RBI, SB
- Senior Jordan O'Connor, 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI
- Sophomore Abbie Murrell, 2-for-3, R, 4 RBIs, HR
- Sophomore Maddison Leite, 2-for-3, 2 R
- Sophomore Kat Stackrow, 2-for-3, R
- First-year Bailey Cain, 1-for-2, R, 2 RBIs, SB
- Junior Morgan Perry, 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 11 K
- Final game in a six-game homestand for the Purple Knights.
- Tierney extended her career hit total to 104, tying Stephanie Frank '13 for 11th in program history.
- The Purple Knights threatened in the bottom of the first as Apkarian walked to lead off the inning before Tierney singled to right with two outs, but were unable to score.
- Saint Anselm tallied six runs on five hits in the top of the second. Murrell smacked a two-run home run to left field to make it 2-0, before Cain scorched a two-run single through the right side. Colson and Murphy each knocked in a run with groundouts.
- First-year Kylie Fitzpatrick singled in a run in the top of the third to put the Hawks up 7-0.
- The Hawks added three runs on three hits and an error in the top of the fourth. O'Connor had an RBI single to right before Murrell drove in two more with a single to left center.
- Markowski knocked her second double of the game in the bottom of the fourth for the Purple Knights, but was left stranded.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Stonehill College, 12 p.m. doubleheader