KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College softball team wrapped up its season-opening 10-game stay at The Spring Games with a pair of losses on Thursday to Concordia (Mich.) University, 5-0, and the University of Minnesota Crookston, 7-4, at the Osceola County Softball Complex.
- Saint Michael's (1-8), Concordia (11-8)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 2-for-3
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 1-for-2, BB; 4 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- First-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury), 1-for-2, 2B
- Sophomore Sydney Longley (East Granby, Conn./The Ethel Walker School), 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Junior Melanie Richardson, 2-for-3, 2 RBIs
- First-year Lauren Reichel, 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
- The teams' first meeting.
- The Cardinals only outhit the Purple Knights 6-5
- Three of Concordia's five runs were unearned.
- The visiting Purple and Gold loaded the bases with two down in the first inning, but Reichel induced an inning-ending fly ball.
- The Cardinals plated three runs on three hits in the second frame, with Richardson's one-out RBI knock scoring the winning run before two unearned runs came home on a two-out error.
- Richardson's two-out RBI single made it 4-0 in the third, and an error led to an unearned run in the fourth.
- Saint Michael's threatened in each of the final three innings. Brandenburg led off the fifth with a double but moved no further, Rathwell and Markowski began the sixth with back-to-back singles before a double play helped limit the inning, and junior Sarah Wight (Hingham, Mass./Hingham) led off the seventh with a single before another twin killing ended the game.
- Saint Michael's (1-9), Minnesota Crookston (11-12)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Rathwell, 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, HR; 7 IP, 12 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Brandenburg, 2-for-3
- Longley, 0-for-2, RBI, BB
- Junior Samantha Proctor, 3-for-4, R
- Senior Haley Strachan, 2-for-3, 2 R
- Senior Maggie Morales, 2-for-4, 2 RBIs
- Junior Mikaela Rodriguez, 1-for-4, R, 4 RBIs, 2B, BB
- Sophomore Taylor Graven, 5 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, Win
- Senior Mikayla Jones, 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, Save
- Tierney upped her career hit total to 97.
- Rathwell swatted the eighth home run of her career, moving into a tie with Kate Condon '11 for eighth in program history.
- The teams combined for only four base runners during a scoreless opening three and a half innings.
- Rathwell singled to open the home half of the fourth before Tierney doubled, moving Rathwell to third. First-year Courtney Norton's (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick) one-out fielder's choice brought Rathwell home before Longley's bases-loaded walk with two down forced in Tierney.
- Minnesota Crookston countered with four runs on four hits in the fifth, as Rodriguez walked with the bases loaded, Morales singled up the middle to score two more, and junior Malia Pula's groundout pushed in Rodriguez.
- Rathwell tied the game with a two-run homer to left center in the bottom half. Norton reached on a two-out error and Brandenburg followed with an infield single, but the final batter popped out.
- With two down in the sixth, Rodriguez unloaded the bases with a three-run double to center field, giving the Golden Eagles a 7-4 lead.
- Rathwell pitched out of a bases-loaded, two-out situation unscathed in the seventh.
- Jones came out of the Minnesota Crookston bullpen to retire all six batters she faced in the sixth and seventh innings.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Saint Anselm College, 3 p.m. It will be the Purple Knights' Northeast-10 Conference opener.
- The Hawks finished 2018 as the NCAA Tournament national runner-up.
- The Purple Knights' originally scheduled weekend doubleheaders at The College of Saint Rose (Saturday) and Le Moyne College (Sunday) have been canceled due to poor field conditions and inclement weather.