CLERMONT, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College softball team returned from a day idle with a pair of four-run losses on Tuesday during The Spring Games at the Hancock Recreation Complex, as it fell to Florida Southern College, 8-4, and New York Institute of Technology, 7-3.
- Saint Michael's (1-4), Florida Southern (11-15)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Courtney Norton (Georgetown, Mass./Bishop Fenwick), 2-for-2, 2 R, RBI, BB, HR
- Junior Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), 1-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Junior Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill), 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 6 IP, 11 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
- Senior Makayla Deuberry, 3-for-3, 3 R, 3 RBIs, BB, HR, SB
- First-year Jadin Dewith, 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 SB
- Senior Aubrey Ehlers, 4 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB 6 K, Win
- Junior Kristen Beacham, 3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, Save
- The teams' first meeting since 2000.
- Norton picked up her first collegiate hits, with the third-inning home run the first hit of her career.
- Markowski moved into a tie with Mary Horan '78 for 10th in program history with six career home runs.
- The bottom third of the batting order - Norton, first-year Leigh Brandenburg (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) and senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic) - accounted for five of the Purple Knights' 10 base runners.
- Florida Southern plated a pair of runs in the home half of the first inning, with Dewith scoring on a passed ball before sophomore Samantha Prosser's RBI single brought in Deuberry with two down.
- Norton led off the third with a home run to left field as the Purple Knights' first base runner.
- Deuberry responded with a two-out, two-run homer in the fourth, pushing the Mocs' lead to 4-1.
- Sevigny walked with the bases loaded in the fifth to push home a run, but Beacham escaped the three-on, none-out situation without yielding another run.
- Florida Southern put four more runs on the board in the sixth on five hits, with sophomore Kensie Green's two-out, two-run single capping the frame.
- Markowski knocked a two-out, two-run homer in the seventh to create the final margin.
- Saint Michael's (1-5), NYIT (5-6)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Brandenburg, 3-for-3, RBI, 2B
- Sevigny, 2-for-3, RBI, BB
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 2-for-3, R
- Rathwell, 7 IP, 11 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Sophomore Lizul Portugal, 3-for-4, 2 R, RBI, 2B, HR
- Senior Mikea Lewis, 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI
- Sophomore Kylie Lacerte, 1-for-2, 3 R, 2 RBIs, BB, HR, HP
- First-year Emily Koerick, 6 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K
- The teams' seventh meeting, all since 2011.
- NYIT scored six of its seven runs with two out in innings.
- Lewis knocked a two-out RBI single in the top of the second before Lacerte made it 3-0 with a two-run homer.
- Koerick helped herself with a two-out, two-run single in the fourth.
- Single Bear runs came around in the sixth and seventh, including when Portugal hit a one-out solo home run in the seventh to push the lead to 7-0.
- The Purple Knights scored three times on three hits and an error in the seventh. Brandenburg's RBI single broke the shutout, a double-play grounder scored the second run, and Sevigny's RBI knock cut the deficit to four. However, the final batter flew out to end the rally.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. American International College (12 p.m.) and the University of Tampa (Fla.) (2:15 p.m.) in Kissimmee, Fla.