COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team had three singles losses end in super tiebreakers during a narrow 5-2 loss to Endicott College on Saturday in the Tarrant Recreation Center. Including the super breakers, nine sets were decided by two points or fewer during the contest.
- Saint Michael's (3-8), Endicott (4-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 2 wins
- Senior Jake Remillard (Saint Albans, Vt./BFA-Saint Albans), 1 win
- Junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde), 1 win
- First-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 1 win
- The Purple and Gold continued a run of four matches in eight days.
- The teams met for the first time since Sept. 17, 2011.
- Krogh, who is also a member of the Alpine skiing team, competed in only his second match since Oct. 12, but is now 4-0 in singles and 7-2 overall this year.
- Saint Michael's claimed the first two completed doubles matches to carry a 1-0 lead into singles. Krogh and Llona won by a 6-3 count at No. 3, while Mosher and Remillard combined for a 6-4 win in the second spot. Mosher and Remillard improved to 3-1 as a tandem, while Krogh and Llona won in their debut together.
- At No. 1 doubles, seniors Max Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) sided for a close 6-4 setback.
- Each of the first three singles matches played to completion went in Endicott's favor, all in super tiebreakers, with Purple Knights rallying to win the second set in each.
- Allen first lost a 6-3, 1-6, 10-5 decision at No. 2, Mosher dropped a 6-4, 1-6, 10-8 final in the third spot, and Foley suffered a 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-0 defeat in the top position.
- Llona fell by a 7-5, 6-4 count at No. 4, allowing the Gulls to clinch the match victory.
- Remillard lost 6-4, 6-3 in the fifth spot before Krogh finished the day by winning a 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) contest at No. 6.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Tuesday against Northern Vermont University-Johnson at 4:30 p.m. at Topnotch Resort in Stowe