MANCHESTER, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team finished the fall leg of its 2018-19 season with its second 5-4 setback of the year, losing to Gordon College on Saturday in the Manchester Athletic Club.
- Saint Michael's (1-3), Gordon (1-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde), 1 win
- Sophomore Colby Antonacci (Bolton Valley, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Saint Anselm), 1 win
- Sophomore Cam Maher (Exeter, N.H./Exeter), 1 win
- First-year Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 1 win
- First-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 1 win
- Second 5-4 loss for Saint Michael's this season.
- Purple Knights' second match in less than 24 hours.
- Teams' first meeting.
- Purple and Gold's fall finale, with four-match fall segment program's largest since 2013-14.
- The teams traded 8-2 wins at No. 2 and 3 doubles to open the match, with Maher and Mosher siding for the victory in the third spot.
- Seniors Max Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) suffered a narrow 8-6 loss at No. 1 to allow the Fighting Scots to take a 2-1 lead.
- Saint Michael's forged ahead when Krogh (6-0, 6-1) and Antonacci (6-1, 6-3) nabbed straight-set wins at No. 6 and 4 singles, respectively.
- Mosher rallied to force a third set in the third position before losing 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, and the teams were tied at three points apiece.
- After Gordon's No. 1 player won in straight sets to put the hosts back in front, Llona remained undefeated at 4-0 this season behind a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5.
- With the teams deadlocked at 4-4, Allen played a pair of close decisions in the second spot during an eventual 7-5, 6-4 setback.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Feb. 2 vs. Saint Anselm College, 12 p.m.
- Match will be Purple Knights' Northeast-10 Conference opener.