SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - Sophomore William Francis scored the game-winning goal in overtime to push Post University past the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team, 2-1, during Friday night's non-conference contest at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (5-14-4), Post (8-14)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 1 goal, 15-for-27 on faceoffs
- Senior Chris Johnson (Duxbury, Mass./Pomfret School), 31 saves
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 19-for-34 on faceoffs
- Sophomore William Francis, 1 goal
- Sophomore Jake Raleigh, 1 goal
- Sophomore Brandon Brown, 58 saves
- First of two-game weekend series and second-to-last regular-season home game for the Purple Knights.
- With 31 saves Johnson upped his career total to 1,977, passing Mike Dizgun '13 (1,968) for third in program history. He also took sole possession of sixth on the NE10 all-time saves list, passing Dizgun and Saint Anselm College's Jim Merola (1,957).
- This was Foster's fifth goal of the season and third goal in the last three games as he scored two against Saint Anselm on Feb. 2.
- The Purple Knights and Eagles both registered 44 faceoff wins.
- At the 1:07 mark in the second period, sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers) skated up through the slot, deked around a defender and flicked a shot toward the right corner of the net that Brown narrowly grabbed to keep the game scoreless.
- With 4:11 gone, senior Patrick Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears) toe dragged past a Post defender and wristed a shot that Brown reached out and glove saved.
- The Purple Knights broke through at the 8:29 mark in the second period as Foster grabbed a loose puck in the slot and rifled a shot into the left side of the net to give the Purple Knights a 1-0 lead.
- Post countered at 17:59 as Raleigh picked up a pass from first-year John Krapian near mid-ice, skated up into the left circle before cutting into the slot and ripping a shot past Johnson..
- Foster had a breakaway chance with 33 seconds left in the third period stuffed by Brown after shooting from the low slot.
- In the overtime period, sophomore Evan Lugo threw a shot on net that Johnson pad saved, but which rebounded out to Francis near the right post, where he shoveled it in for the game-winning goal with 3:33 off the clock.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Post, 4 p.m.
- The Purple Knights will honor their six seniors following the game.