MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team blew open a one-goal game with a three-goal third period en route to a 5-2 victory over first-place Saint Anselm College on Saturday at Sullivan Arena during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Purple Knights are one point short of Saint Anselm and co-leader Assumption College, as the Greyhounds still have a contest to play tonight.
- Saint Michael's (5-12-4, 5-4-3 NE10), Saint Anselm (12-11-1, 7-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 2 goals, 2 assists, +4, 14-for-23 faceoffs, 2 blocks
- Senior Patrick Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears), 1 goal, 1 assist, +3
- Sophomore Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 1 goal, 1 assist, +3
- Sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal, +4
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 16-for-28 faceoffs, 2 blocks
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 30 saves
- Junior Trey Aiello, 1 goal
- First-year Anthony Iacullo, 1 goal
- Senior Colin Soucy, 22 saves
- The teams finished a two-game weekend series.
- Each of the Purple Knights' last seven games had been decided by two goals or fewer.
- Saint Michael's exits the weekend tied with Southern New Hampshire University for third in the NE10 with 13 points. With Assumption still yet to play Stonehill College on Saturday night, Assumption and Saint Anselm were tied for first place with 14 points.
- Saint Michael's was outshot 33-27 but held a 38-27 advantage in faceoffs.
- Foster became the first Purple Knight with a four-point game in NE10 play since AJ Pieprzak '15 (5) and Jeremy Wong '15 (4) both did so at Franklin Pierce University on Feb. 3, 2015.
- Saint Anselm held an 11-4 advantage in shots during the opening period and went ahead at 17:47 when Aiello picked the upper right corner from the left circle on a power play.
- The Purple Knights scored the next four goals, beginning with Doherty's tying 4-on-4 marker at 8:29 of the second period on a second effort out front.
- At 14:45, Narby one-timed home a shot the from left side of the right circle after Foster sent a pass from behind the net for a primary assist on the second straight goal.
- Just 19 seconds into the third period, the Purple Knights pushed their lead to 3-1, as Doherty had an attempt stopped by Soucy before Foster knocked in the rebound at the left post.
- Foster took away a Hawk pass right in front of the net a little more than 11 minutes later and immediately shot from the low slot at 11:45 for his second goal.
- Iacullo cut into the Saint Michael's lead with 15:13 gone with a shot from the left circle that trickled through Decker.
- The Purple and Gold iced the win with a 4-on-3 power-play goal at 17:54, as sophomore Andrew Olevitz's (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones) shot was kicked away by Soucy, but Mitchell pounced on the rebound and struck the net from the lower left circle.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. Stonehill at New England Sports Village in Attleboro, Mass., 6:10 p.m.