SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - Sophomore Zach Sullivan's (Weymouth, Mass./Walpole Express) first career multi-goal game elevated the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team to a 3-2 win over Assumption College on Friday and alone into first place atop the Northeast-10 Conference standings.
- Saint Michael's (4-9-2, 4-1-1 NE10), Assumption (9-5, 2-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Zach Sullivan (Weymouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 2 goals
- Sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 2 assists
- Sophomore Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 2 assists
- Sophomore Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 1 goal
- First-year Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 32 saves (1st career win)
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 26-for-36 faceoffs
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 17-for-24 faceoffs
- First-year Devan Sheth, 2 goals
- Junior David Zulauf, 28 saves
- In the opener of a two-game weekend series, Saint Michael's downed an Assumption team that entered the night first in the NE10 in scoring (3.5), defensive average (2.3), power-play percentage (19.5%) and power-play goals (16). The Greyhounds went 0-for-5 with the man advantage.
- The Purple Knights were outshot 34-31 but held a 54-27 advantage on faceoffs.
- The Purple Knights have already clinched the three-game season series after claiming a 2-1 overtime victory in December against Assumption.
- Saint Michael's won its fifth straight against Assumption, with this the fourth consecutive one-goal affair.
- Six of the Purple Knights' last eight games against NE10 foes have now been decided by one goal or less.
- Sullivan, who entered the night with three career goals, notched his first two-goal game.
- Saint Michael's came into the weekend tied for first place with idle Southern New Hampshire University.
- Zulauf made a handful of key saves to limit the Purple Knights in the first period, including denying senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs) at 5:20 from the slot, blockering away first-year Matt Egan's (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy) try from the same spot off a giveaway at 15:00, and using his shoulder to stop D'Antuono's one-time bid out front at 16:36.
- Saint Michael's netted the lone goal of the period with 10:41 gone, as Narby played the puck off the right wall under pressure to Stewart, who touched a pass into the slot for Sullivan, who went glove side into the lower right of the net.
- Turcotte kept it 1-0 at 18:26 by stopping first-year Dante Maribito's breakaway bid after Maribito made a move to the left on the netminder.
- Sheth knotted the game at 18:35 of the second with a shorthanded marker, taking a giveaway at the Saint Michael's blue line and firing from the left circle to go five-hole on Turcotte while working a 2-on-1.
- Just 43 seconds later, Mitchell converted a go-ahead power-play goal. Sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones) took an initial shot from the blue line that Zulauf saved, but classmate Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets) poked the rebound across the crease to Mitchell, who tapped the puck in at the right post.
- Turcotte denied Maribito's slap shot from the right circle at 8:40 of the third period with his blocker to keep the hosts up by a goal.
- Sullivan added to the Purple Knights' lead at 12:54, skating below the left circle to tap in Narby's backdoor feed from the right circle during a 2-on-1 break.
- Sheth scored his second goal with six seconds left to cut the deficit to one, knocking home a loose puck out front with the Greyhounds playing 6-on-5, but D'Antuono won the ensuing faceoff into open ice to cap the Saint Michael's victory.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Assumption, 4 p.m.