COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team used a 19-2 mid-game run to pull ahead before holding off The College of Saint Rose, 70-64, on Wednesday evening in the Ross Sports Center during a Northeast-10 Conference contest. The Golden Knights qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (5-8, 2-6 NE10), Saint Rose (5-9, 2-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 32 points, 4-for-7 three-pointers, 12-for-12 free throws
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 11 points, 3 steals, 2 assists, 2 blocks
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 10 points, 7 rebounds (3 offensive), 4-for-5 shooting
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 8 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists
- Sophomore Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 7 points
- Junior Michael Wearne, 15 points, 4-for-5 three-pointers
- Sophomore Adam Anderson, 14 points
- Senior Matt Cerutti, 11 points, 6 rebounds
- Senior Shane Herrity, 9 points, 3 three-pointers
- Senior Kamron Johnson, 5 assists
- The Purple Knights' only home game between Dec. 19 and Jan. 18.
- Saint Rose qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's has won four of the last six meetings.
- The teams combined for seven lead changes and six ties in the game, all in the opening half.
- The Purple and Gold utilized a 20-of-25 free throw performance while the visitors were 9-for-13.
- Holmes scored 18 of his points in the second half.
- Holmes' eighth career 30-point game.
- Holmes passed Matt Bonds '17 (1,523 points) to take over 13th in program history with 1,536 career points.
- After shooting 10-of-10 on free throws two games ago, Holmes joined BJ Robertson '06 as the only players in program history with two career games of successfully making at least 10 free throw tries without a miss.
- Herrity hit a three-pointer to give Saint Rose a 12-8 lead at 12:58 of the opening half before Holmes responded with a personal 9-0 run in a matter of 1:28.
- Herrity made another triple to spark a go-ahead 7-1 stretch, making it 19-18, and the Golden Knights led 25-23 on a Herrity trey at 5:52.
- Saint Michael's led 33-27 at halftime while amid a 19-2 jaunt that bridged the intermission. Holmes scored eight of the points and Heter added four, and the hosts were up 42-27 by 16:13 of the second half.
- The Golden Knights trimmed the deficit to four points by 13:32, scoring 11 straight points in a 2:41 span. Anderson netted six himself.
- Cerutti's two freebies at 3:34 created a 54-48 affair, but Holmes responded with a three-pointer 17 seconds later, and Saint Rose never again trailed by fewer than seven points.
- Saint Michael's shot 11-of-12 on free throws in the final 1:42, leading by as many as 11 points in the closing minute around three three-pointers by Wearne over the last 40 seconds.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at American International College, 3:30 p.m.
- That contest will mark the beginning of a five-game stretch during which four are on the road.