KEENE, N.H. - All five Saint Michael's College men's golfers shot 80 or better on Monday, as the Purple Knights trimmed 14 shots from their day-one total during the final day of the Franklin Pierce University Fall Invitational at the Keene Country Club. Saint Michael's finished in seventh place out of 11 schools in a field that included five 2018 NCAA Championship qualifiers.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 81-73--154, tied for 19th
- 2nd-round 1-over 73 was four strokes short of the leader and tied him for 6th on Monday
- Improved 13 spots between Sunday and Monday
- First-year Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- 78-76--154, tied for 19th
- Career-low 76 in 2nd round
- Senior Colin Gaunt (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury)
- 81-76--157, tied for 29th
- Sophomore Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy)
- 79-80--159, tied for 33rd
- Senior Tucker Buteau (Gorham, Maine/Tilton School)
- 82-80--162, tied for 44th
- The Purple and Gold was seventh among 11 schools with 624 strokes.
- On Monday alone, Saint Michael's fired 305 shots, tying for fifth place and edging 2018 NCAA Championship squad Post University by one stroke.
- Field included five of 10 qualifiers for 2018 NCAA East Region Championship. Purple Knights were within eight strokes of Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College (616), which was No. 3 seed at the regional.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Sept. 17-18 at Southern New Hampshire University's Penmen Fall Invitational at Hanover (N.H.) Country Club.
- Day 1 action begins at 8:30 a.m.