COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team took 10th-ranked Assumption College to overtime for the sixth time in 11 years on Saturday before losing a 2-1 decision after falling during a shootout, 5-3, in the Assumption Multi-Sport Stadium during Northeast-10 Conference action. The Greyhounds' national ranking is according to the latest National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) poll.
- Saint Michael's (1-7, 1-3 NE10), Assumption (5-3, 1-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 1 goal
- Senior Katie Leonard (Carmel, N.Y./The Ursuline School), 1 assist
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 9 saves in 36:29
- Sophomore Hannah Wilmot (West Townsend, Mass./Saint Bernard's Central Catholic), 8 saves in 53:31 of relief during college debut
- Senior Claire Kondrotas (Barre, Mass./Quabbin Regional), 1 defensive save
- Sophomore Isabel Primack, 1 goal
- Senior Sarah Bodzinski, 7 saves
- Saint Michael's kicked off a three-game road swing.
- Assumption is 10th in this week's National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) national poll.
- Sixth consecutive meeting won by home team.
- Ten of last 11 meetings have now been decided by one goal, as six went to overtime, while two advanced to a shootout.
- Senior Morgan Johnston (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport) had back-to-back shots denied by Bodzinski in the sixth minute.
- Hurley later made three stops in a 5:50 span of the opening half before stopping consecutive attempts from Primack and sophomore Jennifer Beardsley in the 33rd minute.
- In the 37th minute, Assumption went ahead when sophomore Deirdre Burchill had an initial shot saved by Hurley, but she grabbed her own rebound and slipped a pass to Primack for the tally. The netminder left the game on the play, being replaced by Wilmot.
- Kondrotas recorded her defensive save at 42:53 to keep it 1-0 before Wilmot made her first collegiate save 15 seconds later.
- Criscione leveled the game in the 52nd minute, taking Leonard's pass through the middle.
- Primack later hit the post in the 58th minute.
- In the final 3:10 of regulation, Assumption rattled off five shots - none of which got through to the net - while running four corner sets, as the last two shots came on a corner play with no time left on the clock.
- Wilmot made a stop in the 75th minute on the lone shot by either team to reach the cage during the first 10-minute overtime period. She had four additional denials in the first 6:31 of the second overtime.
- Shortly after one of Assumption's six field players was handed a green card, the Purple Knights rattled off six shots in a row during the 88th minute, with five being turned away by Bodzinski and the final one being blocked. A final penalty corner for the visitors early in the 90th minute led to no shots.
- Assumption scored on each of its five shootout attempts, with Bodzinski saving the Purple Knights' initial try. With her team up 4-3, sophomore Alexa Mulvihill clinched the win by netting the fifth and final shootout tally.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Adelphi University, 11 a.m.