COLCHESTER, Vt. - Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf) hit a tie-breaking two-run home run in the seventh inning, pushing the Saint Michael's College baseball team past Saint Anselm College, 7-4, on Tuesday during Northeast-10 Conference play at Doc Jacobs Field. The Purple Knights, playing their home finale, took the rubber game of the three-contest season series.
- Saint Michael's (9-25, 6-18 NE10), Saint Anselm (6-33, 2-22 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 2-for-4, R, RBI, BB, SB
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-3, R, 2 intentional BB
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 1-for-4, R, 3 RBIs, HR
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, SF
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 2-for-4
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 1-for-4, 2 R, SB
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 1-for-4, R, RBI, SF
- First-year Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 2 BB; 6 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Sophomore Cameron Cuellar (Seminole, Fla./Seminole), 3 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, Win in relief
- First-year Daniel Baker, 2-for-4, RBI, 2B
- First-year Peyton Goodrich, 2-for-4, R, RBI, 3B
- Sophomore Matthew Butigian, 1-for-4, R, BB, 2B, SB
- Senior Tyler McKeon, 2 BB, RBI, SF
- Sophomore Brian Wojichowski, 7 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 K
- The rubber game of the three-game season series, won by the Purple Knights, 2-1. They claimed a 7-6 win in Manchester, N.H., on April 17 to even the series.
- The Purple and Gold's home finale. The Purple Knights' 15 home games were their most since also playing 15 in 2016; they played just 14 total the last two seasons.
- Birch turned in his second straight strong start, yielding five runs - four earned - over 13 innings in his last two starts.
- Giroux-Harvey slugged his second home run of the year, and third of his career.
- Stampler has stolen 11 bases this year, good for fourth in program history.
- Allen moved into second in program history in single-season walks (25), just three shy of Brian Rayder's '93 27-year-old mark. He has been intentionally walked four times in the last four games, and six times in the past nine. Allen is also tied for fifth at Saint Michael's in season hits (44) and tied for sixth in runs (27).
- For his career, Allen tied Nicky Elderton '15 for second in school annals in hits (133), matching the mark for the most by a player who appeared entirely during the program's NE10 era. Allen is also tied for fourth in games (133) and tied for eighth in runs (65).
- Third baseman Azpeitia made a nice backhanded pickup of a ground ball down the third base line to retire the final batter of the opening frame.
- In the second inning, Moran beat out an infield single with one down before Gomez singled to put runners at the corners. Giroux-Harvey followed with a grounder that was mishandled in the infield but garnered an RBI when Moran was off on contact and scored.
- Goodrich's RBI triple past a diving outfielder scored senior Connor Parent, who had walked, in the third before McKeon plated Goodrich with a sacrifice fly to put the Hawks up 2-1.
- Stampler led off the home half with a single before swiping second and scoring on Kroeger's one-out single to center field to tie the game.
- Saint Michael's went back in front in the fourth, as Birch walked, Azpeitia replaced him on a fielder's choice and stole second, and Stampler singled through the right side to make it 3-2.
- Goodrich singled with one out in the fifth but was cut down trying to steal second by first-year catcher Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips) to end the inning.
- Wojichowski pitched around singles by Allen and Gomez in a scoreless bottom of the frame.
- Butigian doubled in the top of the sixth before tying the game on a two-out error.
- Baker put the Hawks in front with a two-out RBI double to the left field gap in the seventh.
- The Purple Knights scored three unearned runs on two hits and an error to go back in front in the home half, 6-4, as Moran's sac fly tied the game before Giroux-Harvey drilled a two-out, two-run homer to right center.
- Azpeitia reached on an infield single to lead off the eighth before taking second on a miscue, and Kroeger's sac fly extended the lead to three runs.
- In the ninth, a leadoff error, one-out single by Baker and ensuing walk to McKeon loaded the bases, but Cuellar induced a game-ending 6-4-3 double play, with shortstop Moran and second baseman Gomez turning the play up the middle.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Thursday at Bentley University, 3:30 p.m.