COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team dropped a 12-3 decision to No. 12 Southern New Hampshire University during Wednesday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Doc Jacobs Field. Southern New Hampshire is the 12th-ranked team in this week's Collegiate Baseball national poll and are the top-ranked team in both the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll and the New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll. The Penmen have qualified for the past seven NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (8-22, 5-15 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (30-10, 16-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 2-for-4, R
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-3, R, 2 BB
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 1-for-5, RBI
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 1-for-3, RBI, BB
- First-year Ozzie Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla./Boca Ciega), 5 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, Loss
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K
- Sophomore Dakota Mulcay, 3-for-4, R, 5 RBIs, HR, BB
- Sophomore Sam Henrie, 3-for-5, 3 R, 2B
- Redshirt sophomore Marcus Chavez, 2-for-3, 3 R, BB, HP, SB
- Redshirt senior Kevin Alexy, 1-for-3, R, 3 RBIs, HR, 2 BB
- Redshirt junior Joshua Goldstein, 2-for-3, R, BB
- Sophomore Idelson Taveras, 1-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, 2 SB
- Senior Matthew Messier, 4 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
- Redshirt sophomore Alex Gomes, 2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, Win
- Southern New Hampshire is the 12th-ranked team in this week's Collegiate Baseball national poll and are the top-ranked team in both the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll and the New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll. The Penmen have qualified for the past seven NCAA Tournaments.
- Final game of a three-game season series between the two teams.
- First of five games in seven days that the Purple Knights will play at home.
- The Purple Knights were outhit 12-7 by the Penmen.
- Allen upped his career walk total to 55, tying Sean Finnell '94 for third in program history.
- Giroux-Harvey extended his single-season walk total to 21, tying Eric Libardoni '05 and Tim McDonnell '12 for 10th in program history.
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City) pushed his career hit-by-pitch total to 14, tying Ed Fennessey '08 and Alec Tice '14 for 10th at Saint Michael's. This is Gomez's first year as a Purple Knight.
- The Penmen jumped out to an early 1-0 lead on two hits in the top of the first as Mulcay tagged a two-out RBI single to left center.
- Southern New Hampshire added a run in the top of the third on one hit. First-year Alex Kennedy knocked in the run on a deep sacrifice fly to center after the runners had advanced to second and third on a throwing error on the previous play.
- Saint Michael's cut the deficit to 2-1 after Giroux-Harvey ripped a two-out RBI single through the right side of the infield in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Penmen extended their lead to 7-1 in the top half of fifth thanks to three extra-base hits, including two home runs. Mulcay cracked a three-run blast to right field before Alexy followed with a two-run shot to right center just two batters later.
- The Purple Knights made it 7-2 in the bottom of the frame on three two-out hits after Kroeger rocketed an RBI single up the middle to score Allen from second.
- Southern New Hampshire put up five runs on four hits in the top of the seventh to go up 12-2. Taveras knocked in two with a single to left center, while Mulcay slapped an RBI single to center.
- Azpeitia cracked a single to left to lead off the bottom of the ninth for the Purple and Gold and later scored on a wild pitch for the game's final run.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Stonehill College, 2 p.m.