COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team opened its home slate with a pair of seven-inning losses to regional Division III power Castleton University, 13-2 and 8-7, on Thursday at Doc Jacobs Field. The Spartans qualified for eight of the last 11 NCAA Division III Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (5-11), Castleton (10-9)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 1-for-2, R, 2B, 2 HP
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-2, 2 BB
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 1-for-3, 2 RBIs
- First-year Ozzie Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla./Boca Ciega), 3.1 IP, 5 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 6 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
- Senior Dillon Benham, 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 BB, 2B
- Senior Dylan Bailey, 3-for-5, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- First-year Brayden Millet, 2-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Junior Davis Mikell, 1-for-3, R, RBI, 2 BB
- Junior Cameron Goulet, 5 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 8 K
- Castleton qualified for eight of the past 11 NCAA Division III Tournaments and won each of the past five North Atlantic Conference (NAC) Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's played its earliest opener since 2016 (March 30) while beginning an 11-game homestand. The Purple Knights kicked off a stretch of 21 games in 23 days.
- The teams met for the first time since April 20, 2010.
- Rodgers saw his shutout streak end at 21.2 innings. He has allowed one earned run in 25.2 frames this season for a 0.35 earned run average, lowering the national-leading 0.38 ERA he carried into the day.
- Allen singled with two down in the first inning and moved up on a passed ball before being left at second.
- Millet made it 2-0 with a one-out, two-run single in the second inning, but Rodriguez escaped a bases-loaded jam by striking out the final hitter.
- Gomez led off the second inning by being hit by a pitch before sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf) walked with one down, but the final two batters struck out.
- Castleton put two on with two out in the third inning, but sophomore left fielder Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King) fought the sun to make a diving catch to end the threat.
- First baseman Allen made a diving stop on the first-base line before tossing to Rodriguez for the first out of the fourth inning, during which the Spartans scored five runs on two hits. Bailey's two-run single to right keyed the frame.
- The Purple Knights got two runs back in the home half, as Stampler singled to center with two down and the bases loaded to bring home Gomez, who had led off with a double, and sophomore Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep), who walked after falling behind 0-2.
- Castleton added two unearned two-out runs in the fifth, with one coming on Benham's double off the left-field chalk.
- Four Spartans scored in the seventh inning to extend the lead.
- Saint Michael's left two on in each the fifth and seventh frames.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Allen, 1-for-2, 4 R, RBI, BB, HR, HP
- Gomez, 0-for-1, R, BB, HP, SAC
- Stampler, 1-for-3, RBI, BB, 2B
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, BB, 2B, 3B
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-2, R, 2 RBIs, BB
- First-year Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 5 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
- Sophomore Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Mikell, 1-for-3, RBI, BB, SB; 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, Save
- Senior Pat Mumford, 3-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 SB
- First-year Brody Fillion, 2-for-3, R, RBI, 2B
- Senior Matt Jackson, 2-for-4, R
- Senior Charlie Stapleford, 3 IP, 3 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 5 BB, 1 K
- Graduate student Casey Piazza, 2 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, Win
- Saint Michael's was outhit, 11-6, with five of the hits going for extra bases.
- Allen slugged his 11th career home run, breaking a tie with Nicky Elderton '15 for second in program history.
- Allen passed Evan Grenier '08 (110) for eighth at Saint Michael's in hits, with 111, and vaulted into ninth with 44 bases on balls. He is now 10th in games (115) after the twinbill.
- Gomez was hit by three pitches during the doubleheader, pushing his season total to eight in 16 games. He is tied for seventh in program history for hit-by-pitches in a season and leads the Northeast-10 Conference in plunks per game (0.50).
- The teams traded runs in each of the first two innings. Senior Deagan Poland came home from third in the top of the first as a teammate was caught stealing second, but Allen cracked a solo homer to left center in the home half.
- Fillion and Mumford produced RBI singles in the top of the second, but Oetterer knocked an RBI single before scoring on Stampler's bases-loaded walk in the bottom half.
- Kroeger tripled in Allen in the third before scoring on a wild pitch, making it 5-3 in favor of the hosts.
- Castleton went back ahead with four runs - two unearned - on five hits in the fourth. Mumford's RBI single tied the game, a two-out error brought him home, and Mikell's RBI single pushed the lead to 7-5.
- The first four Purple Knights reached in the bottom of the fifth, with Oetterer's walk forcing in a run. However, Piazza rebounded to strike out the side in a one-run game.
- Benham's sacrifice fly extended the lead to 8-6 in the sixth inning.
- Kroeger's double to right in the home half plated Allen to cut the deficit to one.
- Giroux-Harvey tripled with one out in the ninth, but Mikell fanned the next batter before the last Purple Knight lined out to second base.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Pace University, 12 p.m. doubleheader