|Class:||Class of 1917|
|Sport:||Athlete, Teacher, Coach, Administrator|
|Enshrined:||Inducted October 21, 2005|
Fr. Hamel was a man who positively impacted student-athletes and athletics at Saint Michael's for nearly two-thirds of the 20th Century. A graduate of both Saint Michael's High School (1913) and College (1917), he was a three-sport star at the Hilltop in football, basketball, and baseball. He was a key member of the 1915 state championship basketball team (the first championship team in College history), and many years after his playing career, the Burlington Daily News called him "one of the fastest ends ever to play at Saint Michael's." After his ordination in 1922, he returned to the College and served with distinction for the next 45 years in such roles as: Instructor of Philosophy, Dean of Studies, Prefect of Discipline, Director of the Labor School, Director of Scholastics, College Liaison with the Sisters of Fanny Allen and DeGoesbriand Hospitals, and Coach of Football, Basketball, and Ice Hockey. He was a fixture at many Purple Knight athletic events until his retirement from his position on the faculty in 1967. In 1971, Hamel Hall on the College's North Campus was named in his honor, recognizing his substantial contributions to Saint Michael's.